Friday, July 6, 2012

C. S. Lewis.. skeptical?

I have always been very skeptical of C. S. Lewis. I do not know why as my skepticism is really quite unfounded but, alas, so is my state. Needless to say when I received a book titled, "The Complete C. S. Lewis Signature Classics" from a dear friend, I was little leery to say the least. But the book came with a great recommendation so, I started reading. The first book in the collection is, "Mere Christianity". After the first chapter, I was hooked! I really enjoy Lewis's writing style and the way he presents his ideas. Here is a little excerpt from Chapter 4 that really stood out to me. He is discussing the universe, and how it came to be, ect: ( It's a little lengthy but stick with it, he resolves it very well.. )

"Note: In order to keep this section short enough when it was given on the air, I mentioned only the Materialist view and the Religious view. But to be complete I ought to mention the In-between view called Life-force philosophy, or Creative Evolution, or Emergent Evolution. The wittiest expositions of it come in the works of Bernard Shaw, but the most profound ones in those of Bergson. People who hold this view say that the small variations by which life on this planet 'evolved' from the lowest forms to man were not due to chance but to the 'striving' or 'purposiveness' of a Life-force. When people say this we must as them wether by Life-force they mean something with a mind or not. If they do, then 'a mind bringing life into existence and leading it to perfection' is really a God, and their view is identical with the Religious." (blogger note: He is not referencing Christianity at this point, just "religious views" in general. :) "If they do not, then what is the sense in saying that something without a mind 'strives' or has 'purposes'? This seems to me fatal to their view.


One reason why many people find Creative Evolution so attractive is that it gives one much emotional comfort of believing in God and none of the consequences. When you are feeling fit and the sun is shining and you do not want to believe that the whole universe is a mere mechanical dance of atoms, it is nice to think of this great mysterious force rolling on through the centuries and carrying you on its crest. If on the other hand, you want to do something rather shabby, the Life-Force, being only a blind force, with no morals and no mind, will never interfere with you like that troublesome God we learned about when we were children.


The Life-Force is a sort of tame God. You can switch it on when you want, but it will not bother you. All the thrills of religion and none of the cost. Is the Life-Force the greatest achievement of wishful thinking the world has yet seen?"

As I am going to a school that teaches "Theistic Evolution", ( a sibling to this Theory, if not the same. ) This paragraph really stood out to me. Another side note, As a Christian, have I been making God into a box? One that I can conveniently "turn on or off"?

Hm...

Ps. This is my 100th post! YEAH!

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts Jacob! Keep thinking......sorting......and loving our awesome God. When we taste and see that the Lord is good....nothing else compares. Love ya, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good...I love CS Lewis. Especially Mere Christianity. Screwtape Letters are a little weird, but make you think.

    Congrats on your 100th post...you could have gotten there sooner if you'd post more often...... :D

    ReplyDelete