Thursday, February 25, 2010

Unmarked Graves?

"The sun is up, my coffee's cold, The kids and dog are fed. I've done a full day's work by nine, I'm going back to bed!"


I found this very funny quote in an equivalently funny book called, A Mother's Manual for Schoolday Survival. I find these kind of books a VERY good insight! :)


This morning I was reading in Luke 11 and in this chapter Jesus starts with an instruction on prayer and then flies full strength into a mini sermon on the rejection that he was facing by the country on whole and the different groups as well. When Verse 44 rolls around Jesus has been talking for a while about the Pharisees and how they were hypocrites because they washed the outside but yet, the inside was filthy! Verse 40 is very strong, " Ye fools, did not he that made that which is without make that which is within also?" God sees and made the "inside" just as he sees and made the outside! Verse 44 though is where the "lightning" strikes so to speak. Listen to this verse, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisee, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them." Wow! If you know about Jewish culture, to touch or even walk over something dead, even a grave makes you "unclean"! So for the Pharisees this was a hard pill to swallow yet what does this mean to me today? Are we walking as "graves unmarked"? Is what I am doing on a day to day basis defiling those around me by interfering with their relationship with God? Verse 45 really sums up what I am thinking right now, " Then answered one of the lawyers, and said unto him, Master, thus saying Thou reproachest us also!" My only hope is that I, because this really strikes home to me, and those of you reading, while not be as graves unmarked. Notice the way that the Pharisees react and let's pray we don't react this way, " And as He said these things unto them, the scribes and the Pharisees began to urge Him vehemently, and to provoke Him to speak many things, (v. 54) Laying wait for Him, and seeking to catch something out of his mouth, THAT THEY MIGHT ACCUSE HIM! I sure hope that I won't try and accuse my very loving Savior, or parents, or teachers just because I don't like being reproved.




1 comment:

  1. I was able to read these verses through tonight and reread your post.
    Our human nature doesn't like to be accused. often we do then react wrongly and this then marks us as having poor character or other bad qualities. Good lessons here for us all.
    I often remind my daughters (but the message is good for everyone.) It's nice to be beautiful on the outside but it is far better to be beautiful on the inside. Sometimes in the rough spots of life is when our "true colors" come shining through. God sees the inside!... let's not have filthy insides!
    Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete